ACTION is an initiative spearheaded to develop entrepreneurial capabilities and attitudes within a diverse audience. We will provide a framework to venture creation that will allow individuals, regardless of their discipline, to leverage what they have learned through work and education, generate ideas, and scale their solutions. While ACTION is focused on technology commercialization, it is by no means limited to it. True innovation is not sequestered, and often the ideas with the greatest impact are cross- disciplinary in nature. It is our hope to bring a wide variety of people together, have them make connections, and inspire them to go out and disrupt the status quo.
- Becoming Iconic (Keynote)
- Global Trends in Entrepreneurship (Keynote)
- See You in the Future: Entrepreneurs in the Age of Machines (Keynote)
- Street-Tested Design: Design in the Real World
- Accessing Angel Capital in Canada
- Customer Development and Validation
- Kickstart Ideas: How to Create, Evaluate, and Optimize Ideas for Success
- Tax Considerations for Entrepreneurs
- Qualitative Selling: Using Diagnostic Tools to Develop Buyers' Journeys
- Becoming an Entrepreneur: Learning and Discovery Paths
- Scaling a Business Over its Lifecycle
- Crafting Effective Patents
- The Startup Pitch: A Proven Formula to Win Funding
- Incubators and Accelerators: A Reality Check
- Preparing for Investors: Due Diligence for Entrepreneurs
- Starting Up: Year One (Five Important Items to Do in Your Company's First Year)
- Get Inside Your Customers' Heads: Developing a Value Proposition that Really Connects
- Customer Acquisition and Growth
- Social Capital: The Third Type of Capital
- Primary Market Research: Understanding the Voice of the Customer
Breakfast and Registration Check-In
Opening Keynote Address (Auditorium)
Experiential Breakout Session 1
Mid-Morning Stretch and Refreshments
Experiential Breakout Session 2
Experiential Breakout Session 3
Experiential Breakout Session 4
Closing Keynote Address (Auditorium)
Downtown Meetup and Party
What the registration fee includes:
- All-star speaker and facilitator line-up from across Canada and Silicon Valley
- Hands-on, experiential learning sessions on practical startup skills
- Breakfast, networking breaks, and lunch
- Networking and mentorship opportunities with industry leaders and fellow attendees
- Shuttle service from McMaster University and surrounding GO Stations (Hamilton, Burlington, Appleby)
- On-site parking
- Access to conference materials (even those of sessions you did not attend)
- Access to the ACTION Alumni network
- Access to Startup Space presented by Innovation Factory and The Forge
"The ACTION conference was a great opportunity to network with industry leaders in Ontario. I especially enjoyed the speakers who described their unique paths to success. ACTION really opened my eyes and provided me with entrepreneurial skills to approach the many opportunities to innovate within my field of medicine. This conference was a great experience, and I am looking forward to participating again next year!"
The hardest things to learn are the things you don't even know you're oblivious to. Action taught me a lot, but there is one thing I can say topped the rest. For me, I found that I didn't understand the true value of Networking. Everyone tells you how important it is, and ok, so you spend some time here and there working on it. But you don't really get why people say Networking is important until you meet the right person, and that connection leads to something huge. Then you understand why people say Networking is important. I met the right people at Action, and everything changed after that.
“Every once in a while you’ll have an experience that is able to expand the very framework which constructs your view on how to approach your future aspirations. Today’s conference was undoubtedly one of such experiences. From the well-assembled keynotes and workshops to the wide range of networking opportunities, I’d have to say that this was one of my favourite experiences of this year. I leave here today with something far greater than a collection of useful bits of knowledge - I leave with a sharper focus on my goals and useful resources for my journey as an entrepreneur.”
The Ron Joyce Centre
4350 South Service Road, Burlington, ON L7L 5R8, Canada.
Deep Dive Workshop Sponsor
Startup Exhibitor Space Sponsors
- How can I register?
Registration is now open for the 2016 ACTION Conference. Register now.
Please note that we have a limited number of tickets available this year as we want to preserve an intimate, hands-on learning experience for attendees. Preferences for sessions will be granted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
If you register as a student, please bring your valid student ID for verification during check-in on the day of the event.
- What is the dress code?
Conference delegates are expected to dress in professional attire suitable for networking with industry leaders.
- I'm interested in becoming more involved. How can I help?
We are still looking for conference volunteers to aid in introducing speakers and helping with set up and take down on the day of the conference. If you are interested in volunteering, please indicate so on the registration form.
- I paid for the conference but have not yet selected my sessions. When can I do this?
A second, more detailed registration form will be sent out in the weeks prior to the conference. Sessions are FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED, so fill out the registration form as soon as you receive it!
- I am not happy with the sessions I was allocated to. What can I do?
We do our best to accommodate delegates, but as above, registration is completed on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED basis. The best option is to try and switch sessions with other conference delegates, in which case please email "firstname.lastname@example.org" to let us know of the change.
- I registered for the conference but can no longer attend. Are tickets refundable?
Unfortunately, tickets are not refundable. However, we will accept alternate registrants in your place. Please send us an email at "email@example.com" to inform us if someone will be taking your place, and we will be happy to honour the ticket sale in this way.